If mental health problems stop you from working, and you like working outdoors, Urban Growth, Jobs in Mind’s newest programme, could be for you. It’s our first ever environmental programme, combining horticultural training with weekly therapeutic support.
About the programme
The programme lasts two years, with structured workshops on horticulture, food growing, and healthy eating/cooking. Members will receive one-to-one weekly therapeutic support throughout.
Programme aims include:
- Improve neglected green spaces
- Planting, including creating edible hedges
- Grow vegetables, herbs and soft fruit
- Set up horticultural and environmental awareness and skills training for local communities
Mentoring you through Linkwork
Linkwork is an instrumental part of the Urban Growth programme. Once you’ve been accepted onto the programme, you will be linked with a nominated member of staff, who will meet with you for half an hour a week. This is an opportunity for you to reflect on your progress, discuss any current issues, or work on managing your mental health.
Who can attend Urban Growth?
In order to be eligible for a place on the Urban Growth programme, you need to meet the following criteria:
- A history of mental health problems.
- A resident of London.
- Aged 18 or over.
- Appropriate mental health support in place, i.e. care coordinator, keyworker, psychiatrist, GP etc.
- Able to commit to two full days per week (Monday to Thursday) for up to two years. The working day is 10.00am until 4.00pm with one hour for lunch.
- Free of any drug and alcohol problems for at least six months.
- No history of physical violence towards another person for least 12 months. If you have a recent history of aggressive behaviour, we will need details about the context of the behaviour, and a copy of any risk assessments, before we can decide whether we can accept your referral.
How do you know if the programme is benefiting you?
To chart your progress and help you work towards your objectives, we review your progress every six months. These reviews serve as a focus and a goal-setting exercise to support you as you move on to further educational and employment opportunities.
How can I join or make a referral?
If you’re interested in the programme, please contact us to arrange a visit, or give us a call on 07760355608.